Monday, January 17, 2011

Wisconsin Friends and 11 Mile Canyon

This post comes at a great time for most anglers.  Winter is starting to subside here in Colorado and my hopes for the spring couldn't be higher.  One of the higher points of this winter was my visit with my boys Matt, Caleb, and Brandon.  For the past three years we've participated in what we have called "Colorado Beer Night."  The whole premise revolves around reuniting, good conversation, and fine selected beverages (Colorado made of course).  Relationships are important to me, and although, as a group we only get to hang out once a year; the bonds of friendship are strong. Good work on the Gubna Matt!

Early January brought my first trip of the year.  11 Mile Canyon (South Platte River) was the destination, and I have to say it was tough going.  The canyon typically fishes well, but when water temps are under 40 degrees, it's hard to get fish to rise.  Before the actually trip, I had the opportunity to fish below the dam and caught some cuts.  The canyon typically experiences great BWO and Midge hatches.  I caught two fish on a sz. 26 Parachute Adams, and another couple on an egg pattern that I tie up.  The water temps forced fish down and most feeders were very spooky and non-interested.  I learned a lot and had a blast with Chris and his friends.  
I look forward to seeing my guys again, in fact most of them will be wetting a line with me this summer in Colorado!  Get out and fish, and try to engage with a friend this week.  Tight Lines, AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment