Tuesday, February 14, 2012

This past week...

Currently the snow is coming down here in Estes Park.  We've finally scene some consistent weather, which brings the needed moisture to our east slope fisheries.  This past week I had the privilege of spending some time on the Colorado River in Parshall.  The river itself is locked up, but there is a fishable section below the Williams Fork/Colorado confluence.  After investigating some of my sections on the fork, I decided to fish some big water.  The lack of bugs and colder than usual temps forced me to enjoy some streamer fishing.  Very rarely do I go out with just a streamer rig in hand, although I should develop a more disciplined mentality when it comes to getting the six weight or the two-hander out of the storage shed.  This time of year this section is quite lower than usual and it helps to see the rivers profile for placing streamers effectively.
The "Foxy Lady"(a Ross Mueller designed fly for the coulee region of SW Wisconsin, some additions have been made to the original fly that enhances its productivity) was attached via a loop knot and I started attacking "fishy" water. Three casts later this guy flashed over my fly and fought well. As my friend Bart says, "Were looking for players when fishing streamers." Although fish counts aren't as high as double nymph rigs this time of year, I was able to seduce a few nice fish along the confluence stretch. It was also neat to see some beaver activity a long the river. I often don't get a chunk of time to investigate the woods these days, but its sure nice to see stuff like this when your out in the woods.  Walking from the fork back to the car I also kicked up six healthy looking whitetails, another rare sight for me these days.  The trip reminded me of a late fall day on one of the Wisconsin tributaries.

On another note Jen and I had the opportunity to spend some time together in Ft. Collins over the weekend.  If your married and have little kids you understand that importance of time with your wife.  Saturday night was no exception for us.  We took full advantage of the time we had together.  The 2 for $20 deal at Chili's was surprisingly good and we were able to cap the evening off at one of Ft. Collins's breweries.  Equinox Brewery has been talked about a lot within my circle of influence, so we decided to stop in and enjoy some quality crafted brew.  I was able to try their "Universal Porter."  We will be back and hopefully next time walk out with a growler of some more porter.
I encourage you all to hit the river, enjoy your family, and have some fun while your at it!

Tight Lines,

A.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment